Different Types of Ear Physician Specialists

There are many different types of physicians who specialize in disorders of the ear. It is not uncommon for patients to ask “What is the difference between an Otoloaryngologist, Neurotologist, and Otologist?”

Otolaryngologist (ENT)

According to the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Otolaryngologists are physicians trained in the medical and surgical management and treatment of patients with diseases and disorders of the ear, nose, throat (ENT), and related structures of the head and neck. They are commonly referred to as ENT physicians.

Otologists or neurotologists

Otologists or neurotologists are physicians who in addition to their ENT requirements continue their specialized training for an additional year or more in diseases of the ear, including trauma (injury), cancer, and nerve pathway disorders, which affect hearing and balance.